Headsets

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    witman

Well, it would appear that my microphone has bought the farm and the rest of my headset is on its way out. I’m now in the market for a decent headset that has a good sound range and a microphone that works.

I’m a cheap bastard, so I want something relatively inexpensive, though I do know you have to spend a little bit in order to get quality headsets. I would also prefer the behind the ear style so my ears aren’t “crushed” but I am not 100% committed to that style.

NeutralX2
    Keymaster

I am currently using the Corsair Vengeance 2000 headset and love it.

If you are looking for something cheaper, the Vengeance 1100 isn’t bad. I have also used the Creative Fatal1ty Headset in the past and it was fine as well.

Shellz0rz

I currently use a Logitech G35 headset. Spent ~$90 on it (on sale). I wouldn’t recommend it. The “Stereo/Dolby 7.1” switch snapped off and the mic hinge is loose after 4 months of use. Drivers are a little finicky. Have to reset the USB connection in certain instances, such as powering up from standby. However, beside those minor issues, the headset performs well. I strongly recommend surround sound headsets to anyone who plays CounterStrike simply because directional sound is a pretty good advantage to have.. If you are willing to shell out $30-50 more than I did (which I wish I did), you could probably get a very nice and durable surround sound headset.

You said you don’t want your ears crushed, so I would recommend a circumaural headset. The pressure is applied to your head over a greater surface area instead of pinching your ears to your head. Even with the ‘behind the ear’ style, I can only wear non-circumaural headphones for about 2 hours before it starts to be a pain. However, with my G35, I can wear the headset pretty much as long as I want with minimal discomfort. Additionally, This will help keep sound you want in, and sound you don’t want out.

The G35 is a “virtual surround sound” headset. There are multi-speaker surround sound headsets out there, but I don’t know how much of a difference it makes.

chinz
    Quote:
    Quote from Shellz0rz on August 29, 2012, 12:05
    I currently use a Logitech G35 headset. Spent ~$90 on it (on sale). I wouldn’t recommend it. The “Stereo/Dolby 7.1” switch snapped off and the mic hinge is loose after 4 months of use. Drivers are a little finicky. Have to reset the USB connection in certain instances, such as powering up from standby. However, beside those minor issues, the headset performs well. I strongly recommend surround sound headsets to anyone who plays CounterStrike simply because directional sound is a pretty good advantage to have.. If you are willing to shell out $30-50 more than I did (which I wish I did), you could probably get a very nice and durable surround sound headset.

You said you don’t want your ears crushed, so I would recommend a circumaural headset. The pressure is applied to your head over a greater surface area instead of pinching your ears to your head. Even with the ‘behind the ear’ style, I can only wear non-circumaural headphones for about 2 hours before it starts to be a pain. However, with my G35, I can wear the headset pretty much as long as I want with minimal discomfort. Additionally, This will help keep sound you want in, and sound you don’t want out.

The G35 is a “virtual surround sound” headset. There are multi-speaker surround sound headsets out there, but I don’t know how much of a difference it makes.

you can get used ones for cheap on ebay.

Quote:
    Quote from NeutralX2 on August 29, 2012, 11:04
    I am currently using the Corsair Vengeance 2000 headset and love it.

If you are looking for something cheaper, the Vengeance 1100 isn’t bad. I have also used the Creative Fatal1ty Headset in the past and it was fine as well.

Corsair is where it’s at. 😉

witman

Well, I sprang for the Vengeance 1100. We will see how it does in game, but I like the sound it give outside of games.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.